So, what are my thoughts? I actually been posting them on RangerCrew, a Power Rangers forum I've been frequenting ever since the Power Rangers Action Card Game. Here are my thoughts from episode 1 and 2!
Note: This is direct copy and paste from the episode 1 and 2 discussions, so when I'm referring to the thread or forum, it's because it's from RangerCrew.
First off, WOOOOO!!! IT'S NOT SUNDAY FOR MEEEE!!! Saturday night sneak premiere, feels so freakin awesome. This is going to be the first Power Rangers I've seen where I've actually seen the Sentai it's based off of first, so I was most interested in seeing how this was going to be adapted.
Edit: One thing I completely forgot to mention is BOY, the Nick player sucks XD I'm glad I got to watch it in HD, but the buffering was brutal. I learned the best way is to skip forward a few seconds, then go back to where you are. It will NEVER buffer where it gets stuck. Also, lots of ads, but better this than giving no money back to them.
Having seen it, that was a REALLY REALLY good premiere! Not everything was perfect, but it was an amazing way to start off. There was some smart storytelling, and you could tell they liternally was holding things back in Megaforce to make it AMAZING in Super Megaforce.
- First off, I dig the villain voice acting. Not what I expected, but I'm interested in seeing them continue on.
- The new intro, VERY cool. Very exciting seeing all those helmets and the mixmash!
- Loved the mall scene very much. Really brings weight to the attack, and exactly what I realized about Megaforce: Remake how easy going Angel Grove was, this big, happy place, and then suddenly see it all crashing down, reminding you that it's not as simple as before.
- HA. Everything WAS a prelude to this attack! They knew we wanted this from the start, and the wait of a year to get here was worth it.
- The Black Ranger pointing out the Green Ranger key. That was freakin hilarious! XD
- I really liked all this talking at the start, and the feeling of the battle being hard. As long as dailogue remains strong I like talking scenes in Power Rangers, Megaforce had too much fighting.
- The combination of putting in the storyline from Megaforce to Supermegaforce and tying them together really works. Them talking about Zumbats and now the new ray you don'te ven need it, AND being able to make more than one is a great way to show how much more powerful the new enemies are, and this whole army attacking everything instead of just hanging out in the sea is great. Also, The Prince and Brok looking similar and having a family tie works great. I was susprised by how well sounded the Prince is actually! Though the next time you see him, you started to see him be in freak out
mode which happens alot in Gokaiger.
- They showed the girl and the kids being attacked! I half expected her to talk in subtitles about how the Power Rangers are here, and surprisingly they choose Samurai to morph! On that note...
- MAGICAL SOURCE, MYSTIC FORCE!!! WOW!!! I didn't expect them to directly say their lines! That was so great, I wish they said "SPD Emgerency!" when SPD came out, but man when they came out it was so cool, with the spinning camera and the talking. What was even more cool was the energy coming off of the keys in the base. That's a great addition. Also, very, VERY interesting choice of them using Samurai for the first morph. It was very cool seeing it, as they know the best in how to do the Samurai effects, but to not use Mighty Moprhin? Even though it's in the preview, very interesting.
- On the morph itself to Super Mega mode, I love that they switched from Megaforce to Super Megaforce, and they actually kept the morph from Gokaiger! It's straight on, but it's like exactly the same, so that was pretty cool.
- Seeing Troy seeing being BADASS Mr. Marlervous was amusing as hell, and seeing them all become kick *** was just great. I was gripping my Moribates so tightly, I loved it all.
- Heh, laser sounds from the Gokai Guns XD
- AH MOU! When Gia turned around after the fight I instantly shouted that out loud XD I watched that first episode of Gokaiger too many times.
- Another great addition is the added line of legendary mode being hard to mantain. That's a great reason for why they can only hold onto it for less than a minute or so when they morph to them, and why they would keep switching it. In Gokaiger it was to be flashy, in this it's alot more sense.
- When they started the Super Mega Saber slash, I was getting pumped. I love that they kept everyone doing the same motion. But when they started going "FINAL......." I went "WAVE?!?!" Big excitement. Let down it wasn't, but hey, what can you do.The combination of two episodes continue, but I wanted more anyways XD The all red was smartly done, and using Overdrive to replace the Goseiger that was originally there for only a few clips and smart editing felt clean.
- "AT LEAST IT TOKE 5 TEAMS TO BEAT MEEEEEEE" GREAT line XD Also makes it a point that you need more than just the standard morphs, and you need alot of power from the other Ranger keys in order to kill monsters.
- One of the things that didn't work, is the final part. I guess you have to put things back to the norm, but you could have held that back. This, combined with the beginning with the school while was awesome to see the school messed up, was oddly placed. Why did they clap for the teacher to return? He was more worried about his stuff than the students! I wish they showed that near the start. But great way to tie everything together, to the first episode question.
- I dig that they left it on a cliffhanger, the Robo Knight storyline. How everything is not resolved by the end of the episode, works great. I trust that they will do a great job with Super Megaforce after this episode.
But again, over all, VERY, VERY GOOD episode! Actually, great! Retyping everything I loved about it, with only a few hiccups, very good. I would so rewatch it again, and this series already is gonna be an automatic dvd/BLU-RAY I HOPE!!! buy.
We are DEEP into Super Megaforce now! I'm going to be enjoying watching these episodes every week at least for awhile.
Overall thoughs, THEY DIDN'T COMBINE TWO EPISODES INTO ONE!!! WOW! However this makes alot more sense for this season than the last, being that they are running into episodes where they don't even need to adapt because of suits. But, what interests me is that when the Dairanger suits appeared Gosei just say that their new suits. I'll go into my own thoughts on that in abit. Let's go the play by play way!
I watched this on Hulu Plus, so going to have the episode play back righit now just in case I missed something.
- Reading the episode discription beforehand, I remember that this was the SPD episode. I was getting abit excited as they could possibly use Doggie Kreauer for this episode, but, well, spoilers, he doesn't show up. And the reason being...
- ...that their just going to be given the zords powers? That's really lame. I wish they could do something nice and this really limits any surprise past ranger appearances to the list that we already gotten.
- Having said that, very smart opening and general theme of the non fight scenes part. Having to rebuild the Mr. Freezey place shows off that not everything is still fixed, and goes with the overall theme of "Earth Fights Back". Funny note is how the episode is named that, so to see it in big blue banner at the end made me roll my eyes abit but if I didn't know the episode, I'll like it.
- Oh yeah, one thing that's been around this whole time but just really noticing now is whenever they would cut to places like the drink place or show they would use a calm version of the theme, so much like the first season of Power Rangers stuff. I know that's in the Megaforce throwback season, but still nice.
- Awesome scene with Noah learning about the rangers and the zords from the PC, and very funny scene with the teacher. Normally I don't get into those types of jokes, but it was done well. This will teach you Noah that if your going to do someething secret on the computer, do it on the one AWAY from the door! N-Not that I would know, of course....however, this scene also brings one of the main disappointments for those that watched Gokaiger. Their going to be given the zord powers by Gosei, not by other Rangers.
- Troy finds the missiles on his own. Disappointed and it just feels weird knowing the original source footage, but it allows for the major fight scene that makes sense. Many, many unmorphed fights and makes me really see those actors skills to the test.
- JAKE IN THAT SHAKE SUIT! That's harlirious! Really funny, and it looks like it was fun to wear too. There's great comedy moments in this episode. This also ties in great to his green powers, though he wasn't goofy at all in the Gokaiger suit this time.
- Heh, still using the weird face morpher as chatting to each other when they have a good cell phone to use. I guess the Super Megaforce morpher can only be used once the Megaforce suits are on. Speaking of Megaforce suits...
- AHHH! So their still going to be using Megaforce suits after all! I like this alot, going straight into Super Mega Mode after transforming doesn't work out as much, and it works in a DBZ sense, where you first normally, then go stronger, and go even stronger but it takes more. The Super Mega FOrce suits allows the Rangers to transform and that's where they want to focus their energy on, as the power boost gives them the strength to use those keys. Plus, in a way because they wear a black suit first almost makes it seem like that black suit is where it helps form the body.
- On morphing Megaforce suits first, Troy doing it much earlier than the other was another smart move, showing that as a team they can do much more, allowing them to not be morphed longer.
- Jake is the default 2nd leader, or at least takes charge in the fights. I like that. Also, funny how Noah uses a barrel in this episode when Jake used one in the last one. I'm not saying the Gokai colors should be switched around, I much perfer now, but it's amusing to see.
- OH YEAH! HOW CAN I FORGET!! Reading this thread helps so much, the morph to Megaforce where they go THROUGH the enemy! This explains so much about morphing in Megaforce also! That's why they can't be attacked during it, it's just AWESOME!!!
- It also makes sense for them to fight with the Megaforce suits first in my mind. They went straight into it in the first episode, so by fighting with the Megaforce suits against those X-Brogs and realizing it's just not enough go for Super Mega mode. Though they have completely abonden the Ultra mode, but then if I was them I wouldn't bother with it too.
- Also about the Megaforce suits. It gives us so much more original footage now, AND it allows Vrok to come back and fight those suits anytime. Works out so well.
- RPM, GET IN GEAR! Alright, yes. They totally ARE going to use the morphing call for all the teams for sure. We weren't sure with SPD and Ninja Storm last episode, but this episode confirms it. The only reason why we didn't get SPD last time now I'm thinking is because the next episode we are going to get it. So it makes more sense that they will say it only once, much like how in Gokaiger when they will do one full morph (such as SPD in this episode). On RPM, funny how Emma wears the black suit now, Jake must have been really confused with those keys.
- The naming of the weapons also. Fantastic, really shows off that they know what their doing.
- Now. The Dairanger suits. That was...completely random and unneeded. However, I won't say it's completely not needed, I don't know where their going to go with those suits if they showed it off, but if it's just for that scene pretty pointless. Having Emma just say out after the morphing call almost seems like a last minute thing where they think of names, but in the end just couldn't and have Emma quickly dub in a new line. Seeing those suits in action is even more confusing, as while I get it just from watching Dairanger is about different style of martial arts, but it's hard for me to not see Gia acting drunk. Of course they wouldn't mention drunken style but still, awkward. Them saying it was never shown on this earth was a nice touch though.
- With only one second left! "Oooh, oh-ohh. Oh."
- MAN! The sun moves weird for a 2 hour time frame!
- Throwing back the missile was awesome. Don't mess with us! Also the Prince freaking out. I guess their totally going to keep with the original source material after all. No complaints here, it's how it was in the japanese version and it works here too. Also that line about not using his eyes, freakin hilarious XD
- After the talk about not getting the key powers from former rangers, the glowing keys once again appears back from episode 1 to this episode, giving them powers. I like that, really keeps things uniformed.
- Okay. This is something I will never understand why they did this. Why keep the part where the villain cuts a building and then have the Rangers blast through it? I thought the point was to rebuild the city, not to destroy it even more? It's ALITTLE less bad in Gokaiger because their pirates, but dude, they been there for 3 episodes now and they said they kind of want to protect them kind of, so why blast the hell out of one of their buildings? This part I will always dislike.
- Eh? Why did they had to go and attack the armada? WOW that was random as heck. If they had said "let's give them a warning!" then sure, but like this, just like Gokaiger, it just shows off that they can totally kick their butts right now but choose not to and keep them a threat. It doesn't make sense in both english and japanese.
- W-What?! THEY ACTUALLY are going to use the sky ship as a ship?! Well, I defended the use of them not being pirates before, but this is way more balantant. I DO think that it's awesome they build a set for it though, not gonna lie I like that their using it as a ship too, but wow is that more piratey than ever.
- EMMA LOOKS SO CUTE WITH THAT HAT AND DRINKS! I always love how cute she looked in the intro, as only 2 out of the 5 looks more natural freeze framed that they did. Also to talk abit more about the intro, still love Jake's intro there, very cool. Oh yeah, and the episode ending with Ernie focused so hard in making sure his drinks are shown with the Earth Fights Back banner. I thought that was really funny XD Some people are just going to be like that.
The overall episode I enjoyed alot. To tell the truth actually, even though the japanese one had a cameo with Doggie, I think this episode was actually done better. The other rangers had nothing to do and wasn't sure of the missile stuff in the japanese one, while in this episode all 5 rangers are fighting to deal with the missile. Also the side story of Marverlous and Doggie made the missile thing all the more of an extra. This version is way more focused and it felt like a real threat that this thing could happen, which unlike the japanese version was more the feeling of "this is so going to be fixed by the end of the episode".
Even though the episode was also one big fight, it's fighting for SOMETHING. Than fighting because it's some big monster attacking them. Plus it's not just one plot element and then 15 minutes of fights. Each time it cut back to them as normal people something was going on.
The quality of the episodes are just so much more better than Megaforce. I am not worried for this season at all now.
Hope you guys enjoyed reading my SUPER MEGA LONG THOUGHTS ON EPISODE 1 AND 2! See you guys next time!